Ready to sign your family up for our exciting classes? Here’s how!
How to Apply
- Read our tuition information and participation agreement—You’ll need to understand them in order to make selections during the registration process (plus families are required to have read and agreed to them).
- Apply online at chess.studyplace.us/course/
list. Choose courses to put in your cart, then choose “enroll now”.
- Mail the one-time per student registration fee and first quarter payment for each class to: CHESS Administrator, P.O. Box 1063, Haymarket, VA 20169-9998. Make checks payable to C.H.E.S.S. (You may send one check for multiple students.)
- Enclose one self-addressed stamped envelope per family to receive the registration refund at the end of the year if you qualify.
Frequently Asked Questions about Applying to CHESS
- When can I apply?
Registration opens on May 1 for returning families, on May 8 for new families, and closes August 15. Families can create a CHESS account at any time through the website.
- How do I know if my application has been accepted?
You’ll receive an email confirmation as seats are held or waitlisted, approved or disapproved. We reserve the right to accept or reject an application for any reason.
- Can I drop a class after I apply?
After you have applied and after your seat has been approved, you have two days to drop a class before incurring a drop fee. Refer to the “CHESS Tuition, Fees, Payments & Refunds” document for more details.
- Can I add another class after I register?
Sure! Just add the class to your cart, and follow the instructions given.
- What are my tuition payment options?
CHESS allows you to spread your payment over four monthly installments with the following dates:
1. When you apply
2. August 1
3. October 1
4. December 1
- Can I get any discounts on my tuition?
Yes! Please refer to the “Tuition, Fees, Payments and Refunds” document to find out about discounts, volunteering and scholarships.
- What if not enough students sign up to run my class?
A class requires a minimum of five to seven students in order to run. If a class does not have enough students, it may be may be canceled. Class cancellations will be announced August 17. Anyone whose class was cancelled will have the opportunity to choose replacement classes if seats are available.
- Will CHESS give me a transcript?
The teachers at CHESS issue grades or evaluations; however, CHESS is not a school. The responsibility for creating a transcript lies with the homeschooling parent.